[peel] Re: Interview with Sheila

Paul Webster paul@...
Sat Oct 8 18:05:52 CEST 2005

> For the benefit of non-UK readers, the Telegraph is
> a very traditional, right-wing British newspaper.
> I guess the irony is because Peely represented a
> liberal, left-of-centre lifestyle more suited to the
> Guardian paper.
> I thought it was a huge mistake for JP to do "Home
> Truths" for so long. It was / is boring, Telegraph-esque
> and mainly aimed at middle-aged women ! Tom Robinson
> was doing it today - the lure of money gets everyone
> eventually, perhaps.
He (Tom Robinson) did quite a few over the last year - and others did fill
in every now and then when John was away (e.g. David Stafford - who would be
my choice to keep the spot).

My guess is that there were a lot of Guardian readers listening to Home
Truths over the years. I do agree with the implication that the audience
probably had a high proportion of middle-aged listeners but I don't see a
particular problem with that. Was it a very different audience to that for
Offsping (that essentially became Home Truths), Grumpy Old Men and A Life Of
Grime. He was serving different audiences.

> Maybe HT could be better if it was
> edited better to cut the waffle and self-indulgence ....
The Monday night "repeat" of the 1 hour Saturday show is and was only 30
minutes long.

Paul