[peel] The Prats - But really Old Music/New Music debate

festive50@... festive50@...
Tue Mar 29 00:57:08 CEST 2005

Interesting Neil. re. New Music vs Old Music.
Just a thought, but some New Music becomes Old Music ie. it stands the
test of time. Being one of the wrinklies of the group, there are 4 artists
for me, which meet this criteria ie. I've been listening to them since I
1st started buying records seriously. These are:-
Beefheart
Soft Machine
Can
& Howlin' Wolf.
Beefheart and Howlin' Wolf, we all know Peel played on a regular basis but
even the other 2, he played shortly before his ill-fated Peru trip.
After recent lengthy discussions with a current and respected musician, I
felt quite "chuffed" at reintroducing her to Soft Machine and similarily
quite surprised at her musical influences.
An example of "New Music", which I do not think will stand the test of
time is "White Stripes". My reasoning behind this, is that I'ved tired of
them already and there "newness" has worn off somewhat.
As I said, just a thought.
Phil