[peel] The Prats

Neil Jenkins neil_jenkins.geo@...
Mon Mar 28 01:28:33 CEST 2005

Yeah, I'm a firm believer in always listening to old stuff right across the "genres" (I hate musical labelling!) and the decades to fully appreciate what you're listening to now.

A lot of stuff I've bought over the years as a result of what John played is not of the "time", such as good old blues stuff, for example.  I first heard people like Lightning Hopkins, Son House, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ... on John's shows.  The same is true of all manner of other music that didn't fit into an "of the time" category (african music, american indian, folk, doo-wop, northern soul, 60's garage rock, 78's, and a seemingly endless list of other stuff.. and of course Ivor Cutler!  :-)  ).  That's rich enough, and THEN, ON TOP, he played us incredible and exciting NEW MUSIC!!!!

Jeez ... what a guy!  I really miss him.

rockerq@... wrote:
I guess the lust for novelty is something learned from Peel! - and of course he was happy to mix in the odd old record  - what was his line about the old stuff giving you something to compare the new stuff with?

Cheers!

Rocker

Best regards,
Neil