[peel] Peel via Soulseek

festive50@... festive50@...
Sat Mar 12 23:30:26 CET 2005

I won't bother quoting Rich Fewster's post, but I'm sure there are many of
us on the list with similar sentiments/experiences.
Mine for example. (this could get very boring, but pleas bear with me)
Although an admirer of Peel in the early days of "The Perfumed Garden" and
"Top Gear", I drifted away in his "Boys from the Lough" phase.
I rediscovered him accidentally, when I taped the top 20 of his 1981 FF
and in the early days, I endeavoured to remember to record the FF's, with
disastrous results until 1986. Then in 1987, I was off work with a major
back injury and I started taping his shows and listening to them the
following day. In Feb of this year, I had to have an operation and decided
to take my "ghetto blaster" plus an ample supply of blank tapes into
hospital with me. I used to tape both his and Andy Kershaw's shows (for 2�
weeks) and play them back the following day. When I came out, I kept on
replaying these tapes and decided to do some compilation tapes. This was
repeated when I had to have a further op. in June of that year for a
similar period. Fortunately, I never erased the originals. Bands that
spring to mind on these tapes are "King of the Slums", "Bhundu Boys" and
"Camper Van Beethoven"
Over the years, I randomly taped his shows. This, I told to my nephew, who
then emulated this, in that he religously taped EVERY Peel show between
1990 and 1992. Eventually, he tired of this project and was about to erase
these tapes as he was unemployed and short of cash. So rather than buy
them off him, I proposed that instead of him buying me birthday/christmas
presents, he gives me a selection of these tapes.
So with these presents and my random tapings, I have in excess of 500 Peel
tapes plus 200+ shows since the shows were streamed. Amongst this, is a
unique tape, which I know of only 1 other person possessing, which  I
hinted at in my previous post and would not want to appear on e-bay.
Confession time:- Due to work and family commitments, it wasn't always
practical to listen to all of this (so a lot is completely virgin to me).
Anyway, several years ago, I decided to document this treasure, and with a
combination of downloading from various tracklisting sites (Lorcan's
springs to mind) plus the Beeb's, I created a database, printed it off and
started to listen/relisten to the shows and annotate it (this database is
in the files section). Anything with a tape number against it, then I have
it. It's still nowhere near complete, but I hope to eventually finish this
mammoth task one day.
Bottom line :- I plan on sharing this lot (For Free).
Proposition :- As a lot of this "sharing" mullarkey is somwhat dubious and
to save the embarrassment of the "Lists"'s owner, we should set up an
unofficial list for this activity. Everything else stays "on list"
Finally:-
I'm somewhat disorganised, but so far, I've just got myself a suitable amp
+ tape deck to transcribe this lot to digital, on the lookout for a
suitable DVD writer. When I start converting this lot, I'll need an
administrator. Why does the name Neil spring to mind? ;)
Phil