Digest Number 1029

Jon Horne jon.horne@...
Thu Jun 23 22:04:15 CEST 2005

This is true. However you need to consider the technology of the taper, too. My old
tapes were recorded on a cassette player. If the tape itself is in reasonable nick (few
of them are, after all these years), then you hear pretty much what I heard on the
radio when it was being taped. All my stuff from 2000 onwards was recorded on a
minidisc, which compresses everything to buggery.

Personally I prefer the latter. A case in point: I have the great Peel session version of
Culture's "Lion Rock" on record. I also minidisc'd it off the radio one night. The former
is a great song and a great record, but the latter sounds as if I've got Joseph Hill
standing next to me, blowing herb smoke in my face and prophesising the imminent
collapse of Babylon. I'll take the compression any day.

Cheers,
Jon

(c/o The Peel Tapes)