Digest Number 1029

electrophotic brian@...
Thu Jun 23 23:11:33 CEST 2005

The BBC use 'Optimod' dynamic compression on virtually all their
radio broadcast output.  Dynamic compression is where the loudest
parts of the music are kept at the same level, but the quietest parts
are increased in level.  It has been applied in varying degrees to
Radio 3 classical music programmes for the last few years, much to
the consternation of many of their listeners who listen using decent
hi-fi setups.  Radio 1 is aimed more at people listening on car
radios/portables/low-end hi-fi and is heavily compressed.  Compressed
music does sound better in some circumstances - for instance on a car
radio, where you have such a lot of background noise from traffic
etc., and quiet bits would be lost without compression.  (Most TV
adverts are heavily compressed, which gives the impression that the
ads are always louder than the programmes.  The peak levels are
actually the same, but most ads don't have many quiet bits because
those quiet bits have been made louder).

Data compression (or data reduction) is different to dynamic
compression.  To fit 80 minutes of music onto a minidisc the music
has to be reduced to smaller file size(s) and this is done by some
clever electronics which decide which bits of information can be
discarded without affecting the sound quality too much.
Unfortunately, when overdone, data reduction can make music sound
terrible.

I listened to John Peel's Radio 1 broadcasts for many years and it
was very noticeable that his very laid back, calm and unhurried
style became something very different;  I can only describe his late
1990s/early 2000s broadcasts as sounding slightly
abrasive/anxious/stumbling/stressed.  I'm not sure if this change in
style was in any way deliberate, but being John Peel it was probably
natural evolvement.  The 1990s were anxious times for Radio 1
(falling listener numbers) and I'm sure a more aggressive style
suited the top men at the beeb.  One thing that is very obvious on
the last 3 or 4 years of John Peel's programmes was the amount of
distortion in his voice, and I think this could only be due to
engineers at the Radio 1 studio cranking up the levels well into the
red, perhaps in an attempt to make Radio 1 the 'loudest and grooviest
station on air'.  I found this distortion really annoying and I
almost complained to the BBC about it, but I thought the people at
Radio 1 wouldn't be interested in the opinion of an old fart like me.

Enjoy the music.

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Horne" <jon.horne@u...> wrote:
> This is true. However you need to consider the technology of the
taper, too. My old
> tapes were recorded on a cassette player. If the tape itself is in
reasonable nick (few
> of them are, after all these years), then you hear pretty much what
I heard on the
> radio when it was being taped. All my stuff from 2000 onwards was
recorded on a
> minidisc, which compresses everything to buggery.
>
> Personally I prefer the latter. A case in point: I have the great
Peel session version of
> Culture's "Lion Rock" on record. I also minidisc'd it off the radio
one night. The former
> is a great song and a great record, but the latter sounds as if
I've got Joseph Hill