First thoughts on Peel Replacements

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Jan 10 17:54:53 CET 2005

Tuesday   Huw Stephens.   He is currently doing the Session
in Wales (which is the most purely indie of the regional
sessions progs as far as I can tell) and standing in for Zane
this week.   He is a decent dj and presumable will cover new indie

Wednesday - Ras Kwame    1Xtra Urban dj   He is presumably
there to cover all those Beyonce and Usher records Peel used to play

Thursday - Rob Da Bank    Probably dancier than the other two since
that is his area and will hopefully cover some hardcore/grime which
is the biggest gap in Radio 1's dance coverage but I have my doubts
Probably also will cover 'eclectic' by sticking a couple of old records in

The presenters do look as if they were chosen to fit in with the progs
and after them rather than to be separate in themselves

There will be none of that swinging between styles you are used to from Peel

I am not concerned about new groups - there is plenty of cover - Lamacq,Lockup,
Zane as well as Huw.    But were exactly are the established groups going to go
Leaving aside the more extreme case of The Fall which of these progs is likely
to commision a new session by Wedding Prersent or Half Man Half Biscuit?
I don't see one.

Very much the cheap fudge we were fearing

martinw