[peel] What a relief....

Garry Latham garry_latham@...
Fri Sep 24 12:27:35 CEST 2004

Sounds like where I grew up

Tom Roche <troche@...> wrote:
CAMBS TIMES
FIRST FOR FENLAND SINCE 1872

NEWS

Teenager sparks row over 'boring' Chatteris claim on radio

23 Sep 2004 14:50
STORY by WENDY NOTTAGE

http://www.cambs-times.co.uk/man/news/story.asp?datetime=23+Sep+2004+14%3A50&tbrand=CATOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=News&brand=CATOnline&itemid=CMED23+Sep+2004+17%3A06%3A27%3A580

A CHATTERIS teenager sparked a furore when he was featured on national radio complaining that Chatteris was the most boring place on earth.

The 15-year-old, known only as Adam, delivered his damning judgement on Radio 4's Home Truths programme with John Peel on Saturday.

Chatteris Town Council vice-chairman Sue Elam said: "It makes me feel incredibly sad, but it is not for want of trying.

"Young people have to put their money where their mouth is. Chatteris Action for Youth got �3,900 lottery funding to create a youth council.

"Posters went up and leaflets went out, but no-one came forward."
Now the deadline has been put back to October 21 for a second try.
Mrs Elam said Chatteris skate board park began as a teenager's idea and was now a reality.

Chatteris now has a cyber cafe at Grove House, the Youthoria website and the mobile Teen-Machine bus which meets at the top of New Road at 7.30pm to 9pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays, said Mrs Elam.

Town councillor Chris Howes said: "You have got to have every sympathy with Adam's point of view.

"We don't have a leisure centre, we don't have a public swimming pool, we don't have a gym.

"You have no chance as a teenager of pre-driving age of going to the cinema in March- as the last bus back is about 6.30pm!"

Labour's prospective parliamentary candidate for North East Cambs ffinlo Costain, who lives in Chatteris, said: "Adam is right, there is very little for kids to do in Chatteris and public transport is absolutely abysmal.

"Kids do have a general suspicion of authority.

"But we must work together to get the things they want rather than impose our will on them."

Chatteris county councillor and Fenland District Council leader Alan Melton, said: "There are tennis, badminton and cricket clubs, an Internet cafe, a successful swimming club and Chatteris Working Men's Club welcomes children under supervision, but they can become members when they are 16.

 Site  Archive

Copyright � 2004 Archant Regional. All rights reserved.
Terms and conditions

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT