In The BBC Archives

dunelm61 dunelm@...
Fri Oct 29 01:02:33 CEST 2004

If anyone hears of anything to be broadcast in tribute by the BBC in
the coming weeks, please post details here. I know, for example,
that the usual 9am slot for Home Truths on Radio 4 will be given
over to a tribute to John this Saturday (30th). But with so many new
digital channels, it's difficult to spot everything.

I'm hoping the BBC will make an effort. If it's possible, I'm hoping
they'll show the Arena TV programme from the early eighties
(featuring bands such as the Nightingales, and showing Peel's
working relationship with John Walters). They should also
rebroadcast his appearance on Desert Island Discs from around 15
years ago. Then there is all the stuff from the John Peel Night to
celebrate his 60th birthday. I'm sure many of us would like to see
and hear these programmes again as a reminder of why John was so
loved and how much he enriched our lives.

As someone who has been listening to John since the summer of 1977,
I can say without exaggeration that he has done more to open my ears
and eyes, more to broaden my tastes in music and the arts generally,
more to shape my view of the world, than any other person. Thank
you, John - we're all going to miss you.