f50

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Mon Dec 30 14:55:17 CET 2002

>  > surely the only reason for that particular Saloon track being no. one is
>>  the title..
>
>Yeah - that, and the fact that Saloon's email to their
>mailing list suggested that if people were going to vote they
>should vote for that track in particular so as to avoid
>splitting the vote. It wasn't rigged but it *was* well
>organised :-)

it's very common for bands to do this around any sort of poll so as
Rob says, it's not actually rigging it (plus, everyone else does it!)
Apologies for all the bah humbuggery, I was just surprised that a
'wee' band like Saloon, with their correspondingly small fanbase,
could overhaul larger acts like Cinerama, especially the more
Peel-endorsed ones like the Delgados (and ones who are in both
categories like the White Stripes.)
It probably was an unusual year with no activity from traditionally
large acts like The Fall, and no big thing coming through like The
Strokes, say.
I also felt that Low's F50 tracks - whose album I've not got -
sounded really weak. (Of course I preferred the earlier stuff). I was
planning on going to see them on tour but will I be disappointed - is
the album anywhere as good as the material up to 'Dinosaur Act'?