[peel] f50

Jon vicarage@...
Fri Dec 27 19:45:15 CET 2002

Stuart McHugh wrote:
> Really, the problem for me is it now stands there in history,
> alongside the likes of The Smiths, Joy Division ,The Fall and the
> Pistols, as an all-time great. Not since the dark days of Bang Bang
> Machine has the name of the Festive 50 been so sullied!

Or maybe you're just getting old(er) Mr McHugh. I always used to think
the most interesting stuff would appear between 50-40 and that most of
the stuff below that would get blander as you approached the top spot.
This year I thought the best stuff was between 30-20. I see this as an
indication of my advancing decrepitude rather than a decline in the
quality of the records! Add to that the disturbing fact that all three
of my votes got in for the third year in a row and you might as well
shoot me now.

Is it just me or were a few of the records in there actually released
last year? Marc Smith 'Identify the beat' was first played on the Peel
show in 2001 - I remember it well - and the White Stripes and Jeff Lewis
tunes come from records which say (p) and (c) 2001... (although 'Dead
Leaves' was a single this year though?)

And come off it with the Saloon bashing - them and Ladytron were the
best choons in there that I didn't actually vote for. Long live
Stereolab-derivative music!

Stiggles

http://www.vheissu.freeserve.co.uk/peel