f50

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Fri Dec 27 13:34:45 CET 2002

aside from all the talk of a 'campaign', anyone feel that the quality
of the records in the chart was really quite poor? Even the Cinerama
stuff IMO wasn't as good this year as last, so it might be an
indicator of the overall standard. But still miles ahead of the likes
of Miss Black America (dull), Pinhole (a campaign, and not by fans, I
suspect!) and the Yeah Yeah Yeah's (simply unbearably tedious - you
know how you're often dying for the record to end so you can get to
the top of the chart; that feeling crept over me many many time in
the top 10.
So for me, Saloon was perhaps appropriate at #1 - one of the dullest,
wash-all-over-me records I've heard in quite a while. Doubtless that
will upset those of you who voted for it, but just my opinion (I
quite liked Saloon's split 7" of a couple of years ago but their
newer ones in the F50 weren't a patch on that).
Really, the problem for me is it now stands there in history,
alongside the likes of The Smiths, Joy Division ,The Fall and the
Pistols, as an all-time great. Not since the dark days of Bang Bang
Machine has the name of the Festive 50 been so sullied!
(Nothing personal, Saloon friends and family,  if you're reading!)
Bah humbug!

Stuart