[peel] re : Andy Kershaw

Jon jmsmall@...
Fri Jun 9 20:38:36 CEST 2000

Martin Wheatley wrote:
> My guess is that there has been a policy decision to concentrate the World
> Music
> coverage on one channel (radio 3).  Seems sensible to me

Fair enough, but you don't get many kids listening to Radio 3. Who's
going to just happen across Kershaw if he gets picked up by Radio 2 or
3? The important thing about Kershaw being on Radio One was that the
programme could (and did) get people interested that wouldn't normally
listen to the stuff he played, and that can change people's lives.

I think Kershaw will reappear on the BBC somewhere - if they're not
fighting to get him, they must be far madder than I already think they
are. But the point is, he's not on Radio One any more, and this pushes
the station much closer to complete uniformity. I don't agree with this
increasingly narrow-minded marketing-based idea of what each station's
coverage must be. The BBC should be expanding, not limiting the range of
each station. The implication is that people are only interested in one
narrow genre, that open-mindedness and willingness to expand your
musical horizons does not exist, when that's surely what the BBC should
be about rather than following the commercial model of focusing solely
on one demographic.

Tigger