Andy Kershaw

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Fri Jun 9 18:31:53 CEST 2000

Jon Riley said :

 >But - considering Kershaw's distinguished career, unique contribution and
huge popularity
 > - surely a definite role should have been found for him on Radios 2 3 or
4 before booting
 >him off 1? It's not enough, as Parfitt has said, to have had a few
"conversations" with the
 >other controllers.

The Radio 3 controller has said they are planning an expansion of Radio 3
coverage
of World Music in three months time (I heard him being interviewed recently).
This is therefore going to happen at the same time as Andy's show was going
to end
before he walked out in a huff.   Maybe plans were in place.
Whether they still are we can only  guess at. Parfitt may have done him a
big favour
by making sure the last two shows went out pre-recorded so he couldn't say
things
which would further mess things up

My guess is that there has been a policy decision to concentrate the World
Music
coverage on one channel (radio 3).  Seems sensible to me

martinw