Lack of Bowie

emerson_63@... emerson_63@...
Fri Jan 21 03:14:29 CET 2000

I'm not surprised that Bowie hasn't and won't
appear in the all-time festive 50 because he's
only had one entry and that was Heroes in 77.
In the Bowie biography, Strange Fascination
John Peel does state that he would put him in
the top half dozen of artists he's most enjoyed.
Peel did play whole Bowie albums on his show in
the 70's(Low, Heroes and Stage)because they were
ambitious and I think the last new Bowie product he
played was the single Alabama Song in 1982 which he didn't
like. I've never regarded Bowie as a Peel favourite
although he did play Fame in the Peelenium.
In fact I think one of Peel's strengths is to
drop an artist when they begin to sound routine.
He did this with Bowie and more notably with Siouxsie
and the Banshees. And let's face it, with one or two
exceptions, Bowie has been nothing but routine since
1980.  John Leslie, Aberdeen