Peel Night Fallout

Kim Harrison-Lavoie kimhl@...
Thu Sep 2 22:31:53 CEST 1999

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:11:43 +0100 Stuart McHugh
<smchugh@...> wrote:

> From: Stuart McHugh <smchugh@...>
>
> >Peel reckons that he and the interviewer had a light
> >hearted talk about a whole load of things about being a
> father/son but >that they deliberately edited out
> everything else bar him having a go >at William.
> I don't know how accurate that might be as the chat was
> probably fuelled by red wine; he certainly did have a lot
> to say about it, but it was certainly edited by someone
> with an interest in psychoanalysis as they did rather dwell
> on this subject - and the interviewer was no better, just
> when the conversation would return to music or the war or
> something more fruitful, he would say "so, back to your
> son's room then".

I was a bit shocked by the lack of balance in the
interview. I think the only times any of the children other
than William were mentioned were when he said they all
leave the room when he comes in to watch TV and when he
referred to "William and the other children". It looked to
me like anything nice that he had to say about them ended
up on the cutting room floor, which makes me wonder whether
the motivation was to try and stir up further criticism
about his Radio 4 program.

 The radio shows for Wednesday and
> Thursday are covering what I take to be live stuff which
> wasn't broadcast from Maida Vale as there were
> documentaries going out at the time - last night had Bonny
> Prince Billy and, er, someone else, Cinerama are tonight.

I missed hearing the Bonnie Prince Billy set because I was
seeing him perform live at the time. If anyone taped this
and would be willing to do a copy for me in return for
cash, a trade, chocolate or a couple of pints of slightly
used blood ( O pos. ), please email me. Also, if anyone
out there was at the gig last night and happened to be
recording it, I might even consider throwing in a minor
organ such as a tonsil or appendix.

Kim