clinic/peej

Kim Harrison-Lavoie kimhl@...
Mon Mar 1 21:55:36 CET 1999

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:42:47 +0000 Stuart McHugh
<smchugh@...> wrote:

> From: Stuart McHugh <smchugh@...>
>
> >4. Erm, that's all I guess except that I think I'll stick
> >to information-only posts in the future or maybe just
> >lurk...
> Plewase don't do that, everyone has a right to discuss (and
> anyway, we're just starting to get a deecent number of
> posts here!)

I'm pleased to see that free speech is so important to the
members of this list and on a more personal level I
appreciate the encouragement I've had from others on the
list to continue to express my opinions. I don't feel that
any of the replies to my original comments were an attempt
by anyone to suppress my freedom of speech but were just
the result of other people excercising their right to
disagree. My comment about not posting my opinions to the
list was mainly motivated by a realization that what I say
can be interpreted very differently by different people and
I may not feel that what I do have to say is worth the
effort of posting a clarification, especially if it is
intended as a tongue-in-cheek remark.

I must also admit that the responses I received to my
message did cause me to become a bit concerned that this
may be one of those lists whose members may not tolerate
even light-hearted irreverence directed toward their
subject, let alone any real criticism, in which case I
would have to reconsider my membership.

As much as I greatly admire and like Mr. Peel (and I
did mean everything I wrote about him) I would hate to see
him treated as some sort of sacred cow and I suspect that
he would not enjoy that either. Having said that, I think
that it is unlikely that anyone would subscribe to this
list if they had very negative feelings towards him.

WARNING: The rest of this message will probably be
extremely dull for most people - there is no music
content. :o(

Perhaps I was dwelling on the technical flaws for a reason,
which wasn't to criticize his technical skills but was
possibly my subconscious way of voicing a sudden concern
I've had recently about the programme, which stems from
what I think has been a significant increase in these
mistakes lately (I may be wrong about this - just my
impression!).

Although I would agree that JP is not especially proficient
in the technical aspects of broadcasting, I do feel that
many of the mistakes that are made are possibly due to the
lack of attention or interest on his part, which would not
be surprising given that he has been doing his programme for
Radio 1 for over 30 years now and once he has selected the
tracks to play the actual mechanics of the programme may
seem rather dull to him. It has occurred to me that he may
be getting a bit tired of the job, a thought which has
caused me some concern because the prospect of his
retirement would be very grim indeed. The recent addition
of the 'Broadcasting Cottage' nights, which is most likely
a result of his weariness of commuting to and from
London, has probably reinforced my concerns about his
eventual retirement.

Of course I may be completely wrong in my interpretation of
all of this, and he may not have any intention of retiring
in the foreseeable future, which would be good news for all
of us.

As for playing records at the wrong speed, I don't even
count that because my own rather limited record collection
has a surprising number of records whose playing speeds are
not listed anywhere on the records or the sleeves and many
of the ones that do have it listed are 33 rpm on one side
and 45 rpm on the other. No wonder the belt on my turntable
is getting worn out!

Please feel free to disagree with, argue about, criticize
or completely ignore any of the above.

Cheers,

Kim