clinic/peej

Stuart McHugh smchugh@...
Tue Mar 2 11:04:10 CET 1999

>As much as I greatly admire and like Mr. Peel (and I
>did mean everything I wrote about him) I would hate to see
>him treated as some sort of sacred cow and I suspect that
>he would not enjoy that either.
Agreed, criticism is ok, on any subject really, especially as Kim is
voicing a concern rather than just slagging for the sake of it.

>The recent addition
>of the 'Broadcasting Cottage' nights, which is most likely
>a result of his weariness of commuting to and from
>London, has probably reinforced my concerns about his
>eventual retirement.
I can understand his welcoming the home shows so eagery, for years he's
commuted into London and then spent 2 or 3 nights in a B&B then returned
home to his family, rather than do the 2-hour (?) drive back home after
midnight. After all, fiishing at that hour there's nothing to do, even the
benefits of being in the capital are lost as all the gigs would be
finishing off by then! I don't know if this marks a steady decline into
retirement, I would have suspected that eventually he'd want to do more
shows, perhaps all, from home... but they're maybe a bit haphazard, a bit
too cosy to be used more than once a week as a bit of a novelty. It would
be weird if all his shows featured the family in the background, bringing
him wine and faxes etc, a bit like a living soap, like his favourite, the
Archers.

>Of course I may be completely wrong in my interpretation of
>all of this, and he may not have any intention of retiring
>in the foreseeable future, which would be good news for all
>of us.
At least twice in the past week he's remarked about how much enjoys his
job, likening it to sitting with a bunch of makes in his room and playing
them his favourite records and  getting paid for it.

Stuart

http://www.vacant.demon.co.uk