Peelenium

Dougal McKinnon d.mckinnon@...
Mon Jun 14 09:59:47 CEST 1999

Without seeking to involve myself too much in the catfight that's
become the Peelenium debate on the Peel list - and if folk are fighting
over things he's played from the first decade, just think of the
bloodshed that's going to occur when he plays something you hate from
later years ("How could he have played x when he could have played
y?!?!?!" or "Why didn't he play z?!??!"), can I just say in response to:

> From: Martin Wheatley <martinw@...>

> Punk is not working class music because in the 1980s class distinction is
> meaningless

I don't think I'd agree with that at all.  When you think that the
biggest social upheaval in the UK in my lifetime took place in the
1980s with the coming to power of Thatcher (yes, in '79 I know), the
year long miners' stike in 1984/85, record unemployment, dismantling of
"traditional" industries,  the Labour Party turning in and eating
itself, etc, etc. I'd say class distinction was at least as valid then
as at any time before.

And if he doesn't play Big Flame or Bogshed at any stage of the
Peelenium, I'll have his head on a spike.

dougie

dougal mckinnon
(d.mckinnon@...)