clinic/peej

Kim Harrison-Lavoie kimhl@...
Fri Feb 26 20:31:21 CET 1999

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 02:13:31 +0800 C R Lawson
<rlawson@...> wrote:

> From: C R Lawson <rlawson@...>
>
> i'm with Stig all the way on this one, firstly JP's not technical enough
> to even monitor the e-mails let alone the "complexities" of the
> web/mailing lists.
> secondly i'll take Peelie with all of his constant mistakes etc. over
> anyone else .. in fact  that's part of the  charm.
> in any event we're listening to live radio with all the warts not a
> rehearsed act of perfection.
> cheers
> Rob (HK)

Before I get any more replies from disgruntled Peel fans, I
would just like to say a few things:

1. The comment about getting another family member to
monitor the programme was only a joke. My failure to
include a ;O) after it was merely an oversight (for which I
apologise unreservedly). My intention was to express my
amusement and surprise at the fact that there seem to be a
fair number of occasions when nobody in the studio (or at
Peel Acres) is listening to the programme. Why is this?
Don't any of his producers/engineers like the stuff he
plays? At the end of the programme do they go up and say
"Great programme, John, I really loved that Fall track"
safe in the knowledge that there is a very high chance that
he did play a Fall track? I can understand him not
listening to every track because he selected them and has
already heard them.

2. I never suggested nor do I believe that John Peel should
be proficient at email or web mailing lists. My comment to
Stig about this list being monitored by Peel WAS followed
by a :o) which I have been given to understand is a
shorthand indication that the preceding statement is not
intended to be taken seriously.

3. I agree that a good  part of his charm is that he isn't
slick or phoney and he comes across as a real, fallible
human being. He is easily the best thing on radio in my
opinion and his is the only programme which I listen to
regularly and make every effort not to miss. I am certain
that a large part if not the majority of my music
collection has been influenced by his programme in some way
or other. If I were of a religious nature he would probably
fit my bill for a deity quite nicely. :o) (This last
comment not intended to spark off a debate about religion
or John Peel's potential role as the figurehead of one!)

4. Erm, that's all I guess except that I think I'll stick
to information-only posts in the future or maybe just
lurk...

Kim

> faxes he > > > >should have another member of the family
> actually > > listening > >to the programme so they can let
> him know > > what's happening.
> > > Is this a civil flame, or are you just saying that in
> case > JP monitors this list and he'll be moved by your
> loyalty to > read out more of your faxes on air? :o)
> Anyway, he > frequently admits that he isn't listening to
> the tracks he > plays because of more pressing things like
> watching > football on TV so it makes sense to have
> somebody check the > output.
> > > Kim
> > > ---

> > Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
> > http://www.onelist.com > Check out the Suggestion Box
> feature on our new web site

> New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
> http://www.onelist.com
> Sign up for a new email list today

Kim Harrison-Lavoie
kimhl@...