[peel] 14 Feb 1979

m.luetchford M.Luetchford@...
Tue Feb 26 11:52:46 CET 2019

I was 16 in 1979 and so was aware of punk largely from my older brother and the outrage/dislocation caused but Joy Division was my band. They spoke to me and  (in my mind) were the band that distinguished the trendy kids who read the NME, listened to Peel, suffered their teenage angst in darkened rooms - my pals! we bought raincoats, wore charity shop suits and stood knowingly at the back of jigs. Not dancing!when we heard of Ian's death I felt so sad and pretentiously vowed to wear black forever. I kept it up for 4 years. Yes i was a prat! Love Will Tear Us Apart came out after he died and it began to penetrate the wider consciousness. think it may have been in the ordinary charts - if you look at the festive 50 you can see how Peel's listeners were loyal to Joy Division. I never saw them (like Peel) but saw New Order on (what I think) was their first tour at Reading University in my raincoat. we requested the DJ to play Love Will Tear Us Apart and he had been asked not to play any JD. They played ceremony ep tracks. when power corruption and lies came out a lot of Joy Division fans (not me) were really upset at the new sound.To me Joy Division sounded very different. you can hear the punk influence when they were called Warsaw but seemed to bring a darker more intellectually angst ridden sound which is why the half man half biscuit oven glove song is genius.sorry I got a bit excited and went on a bit but I think the music you hear from 16 to 25 remains ever important so you touched a nerve!markSent from my Samsung device

-------- Original message --------
From: "'Stuart Brooks' stuartb@brooks22.plus.com [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 26/02/2019  02:24  (GMT+00:00)
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [peel] 14 Feb 1979

I was slightly late to the game, only becoming aware of JD around the time
of Ian Curtis’ death but by the time JP came round to rebroadcasting their
sessions in 1983 I
just knew I had to tape them, guarding my recordings (until I lost them...) not
of course dreaming that one day they would be released on Strange Fruit and
endlessly reshared on Youtube and FB all these later! But listening to the shows
of 1979 and 1980, listening to Peel’s commentary and listeners’ letters to BFBS
etc, NME articles/reviews and my own recollections from the early to mid 80s,
they were definitely cult-huge, with a slight break-through to mainstream
awareness, though you would have been surprised if your parents had heard of
them. I would venture to say that they were huger then than now in the 15-25 yr
old bracket

Stuart weatherman22