[peel] 14 Feb 1979

Stuart Brooks stuartb@...
Tue Feb 26 03:24:27 CET 2019

I was slightly late to the game, only becoming aware of JD around the time of Ian Curtis’ death but by the time JP came round to rebroadcasting their sessions in 1983 I just knew I had to tape them, guarding my recordings (until I lost them...) not of course dreaming that one day they would be released on Strange Fruit and endlessly reshared on Youtube and FB all these later! But listening to the shows of 1979 and 1980, listening to Peel’s commentary and listeners’ letters to BFBS etc, NME articles/reviews and my own recollections from the early to mid 80s, they were definitely cult-huge, with a slight break-through to mainstream awareness, though you would have been surprised if your parents had heard of them. I would venture to say that they were huger then than now in the 15-25 yr old bracket

Stuart weatherman22

From: STUART MACLEAN sdmaclean@... [peel]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 1:11 AM
To: peel
Subject: [peel] 14 Feb 1979

Just listening to 14 Feb 1979 (thanks Stuart for posting that one to the Moo), with Gen X and Joy Division in session.

Hard to believe that is now 40 years ago! As a life long JD fan but too young at the time (I was 11), I can only imagine how this session must have sounded to older Peel listeners, ones who can come through punk and post-punk.  Was the JD session viewed as something outstanding at the time, or is it just with 40 years of elapsed time that JD have become so 'huge'?

Stu

---