Top of the World - Cusco

johnpeel3904@... johnpeel3904@...
Sun Mar 18 12:31:17 CET 2018

According to the Guardian in 2004 just after Peel's death:

 "Peel, who was 65, died of a heart attack in the Peruvian city of Cuzco where he was enjoying a working holiday with his wife Sheila.

 He was having pre-dinner drinks at the lobby bar of the Monasterio Hotel, when he suffered a coronary attack at around 9pm local time on Monday evening. He received cardio-pulmonary resuscitation at the scene but died later in hospital.

 In a telephone interview, Peel's wife said he had been "perfectly fine" before the attack: "We'd been walking around and he was okay until it happened."

 They were on a three-week holiday and had planned to visit the ruins at Machu Picchu before returning to London on Sunday."

 I wondered whether the lobby bar was there when you visited? Didn't see it in the photos. I would understand why a hotel would not put a plaque to say someone died of a heart attack, it may put off guests or visitors from the place. Also Peel was mainly known in the UK and not so much outside it, so there wouldn't be any point putting a plaque, when most of the guests wouldn't have heard of him.