Festive 50 1977 top 14

billfromnorthwales@... billfromnorthwales@...
Sun Sep 3 13:45:38 CEST 2017

Thanks for the feedback thebarguest, it was a tape dropout

Good News
I ripped the tape using 3 different cassette players

Bad news
The dropout is on all 3 rips

Good news
I patched the dropout and replaced the files on the mooo with the corrected version

Bad news
You will have to download again and replace your files (I kept the same filename)

http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/03%20Tapes/McClachlan%20Tape/ http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/03%20Tapes/McClachlan%20Tape/

That's the end of the News, now here is the Whether

Whether it was Peel or Alan Freeman who mixed it up most between old and new (anything else versus punk) in that year of change 1977

(we really thought then we would see a revolution every 10 years - 1957 - Rock n roll, 1967 - Psychedelia, 1977- Punk)

I think Alan Freeman did quite a few contrasts - Generation X and Genesis, Stones and Stranglers I remember, but you are right - Johnny Moped to Pink Floyd is a doozer

People had such strong feelings that it should be one or the other  - they both got letters

---In peel@yahoogroups.com, <thebarguest@...> wrote :

 Nice surprise. Great job, sounds great, many thanks Bill for the tweaking, and Steven for sharing the tape ! There's a tiny dropout between 41:49 and 41:50 mins but maybe there was a tape flip or summat. I'll never hear a greater musical contrast than the first two songs here. Johnny Moped's snarling, reductionist punk, that makes the Pistols sound like Abba, then the cultured, dreamlike, hyper-musical Pink Floyd, ha ha. Peely says here that "Holidays" is his least fave Pistols single whereas 2 years later, as per Berlin Eddie's latest tape from Jan 1980, he says it's his fave ! Hey, we all change in life. Here, in 77, Peely seems to say that "God Save" is his fave Pistols single. Personally, it's my least fave because it's a bit nasty towards a fellow human being ; it's got to be "Pretty" and "Holidays" for me, but the album is quite rightly a worldwide rock classic ! The reggae on this tape is good but I'm sure there was better (heavy dub) stuff in 77 ; I liked the Althea and Donna number at the time, think it did very well in the Top 20. The Neil Young song is a bit of a dirge, probably great if you're drunk or stoned. The Motors were great, pity they were so short-lived... Pity no Buzzcocks or Stranglers. I bought the first Stranglers LP at the time ; it would be banned now due to the misogyny and anti-Semitism, maybe quite rightly...