Festive 50 1977 top 14

thebarguest@... thebarguest@...
Sat Sep 2 20:43:29 CEST 2017

Nice surprise. Great job, sounds great, many thanks Bill for the tweaking, and Steven for sharing the tape ! There's a tiny dropout between 41:49 and 41:50 mins but maybe there was a tape flip or summat. I'll never hear a greater musical contrast than the first two songs here. Johnny Moped's snarling, reductionist punk, that makes the Pistols sound like Abba, then the cultured, dreamlike, hyper-musical Pink Floyd, ha ha. Peely says here that "Holidays" is his least fave Pistols single whereas 2 years later, as per Berlin Eddie's latest tape from Jan 1980, he says it's his fave ! Hey, we all change in life. Here, in 77, Peely seems to say that "God Save" is his fave Pistols single. Personally, it's my least fave because it's a bit nasty towards a fellow human being ; it's got to be "Pretty" and "Holidays" for me, but the album is quite rightly a worldwide rock classic ! The reggae on this tape is good but I'm sure there was better (heavy dub) stuff in 77 ; I liked the Althea and Donna number at the time, think it did very well in the Top 20. The Neil Young song is a bit of a dirge, probably great if you're drunk or stoned. The Motors were great, pity they were so short-lived... Pity no Buzzcocks or Stranglers. I bought the first Stranglers LP at the time ; it would be banned now due to the misogyny and anti-Semitism, maybe quite rightly...