[peel] Peel on Local Radio circa 1988

Dr Mango dr_mango2004@...
Mon Mar 6 16:45:11 CET 2017

Coincidentally, just the other day I listened to the show of 1 August 1990 in which he explains his decision to move from weeknights to 3 hour shows at the weekends. He mentions a Sunday night show on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and says he'll be giving that up too, as he is away from home for too many nights per week.

DM

On Sun, 5/3/17, markc63@... [peel] <peel@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Subject: [peel] Peel on Local Radio circa 1988
 To: peel@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Sunday, 5 March, 2017, 20:07

       On the end of one of my Peel
 compilation tapes I've come across 15mins of Peel
 presenting a show for BBC Cambridgeshire. I did know about
 this show as I listened to them at the time (I was living in
 Northants in the late 80's early 90's). I think they
 were broadcast on a Sunday evening (6pm start, possibly). I
 remember him saying he was asked to put a local slant to
 them, but he replied that 'everywhere is local to
 somewhere' and pretty much played the same sort of stuff
 as on his R1 show (as you can tell from the 3 tracks on this
 snippet).
 Some things have come back
 to me as type this. He had an assistant, Melissa, who was
 apparently a family friend and wanted a job in the music
 industry. There were competitions and I have a feeling I won
 a copy of Makorokoto by The Four Brothers (just pulled it
 from the shelf and there is John's writing on the white
 record inner "Sorry about the delay. John (Peel)"
 I'll post a photo if I can. I'd completely forgotten
 about this 'till now! (I couldn't absolutely swear
 that I won this on this show. I also won a copy of the
 Pixies Doolittle LP and I think that was from the R1 shows
 but there are no notes on this one).
 From memory the shows
 lasted about 6 months (and they had found their way onto
 most of the BBC local radio stations in the East Of England
 by then). He stopped doing them because he was getting too
 tired. In fact this excerpt starts with him saying he was
 driving in feeling tired.
 The tracks played
 are:Shabba Ranks: No Bother This
 (Soundboy), 12" GreensleevesBuck
 Naked with The Farlo Brothers: The Wirehead Conspiracy, comp
 LP Paris Records Made Up In
 TexasCerebral Fix: Warstorm, LP Life
 Sucks And Then You Die on Vinyl
 Solution
 The only clue to date the
 show is from the release dates of the Shabba Ranks and
 Cerebral Fix records which according to Discogs were both
 released in 1988.
 Was anyone else on the
 group living in the area in the late 80's that can
 corroborate any of my
 recollections?Anyway, here's the
 audio.
 http://mooo.peelwiki.com/dl/mr_maudlin/1988-xx-xx.mp3

 Cheers,Mark

 border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
 0;padding:0 10px;}

 border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

 color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
 0;}

 margin-bottom:10px;}

 padding:0 0;}

 margin:0;}

 color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
 #y font-family:Arial;}

 margin:10px
 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

 margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

 font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

 background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

 font-weight:700;}

1593753424activity span:first-child {
 text-transform:uppercase;}

 color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

 color:#ff7900;}

 text-decoration:underline;}

 clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
 0;width:400px;}

 text-decoration:none;}

 border:none;padding-right:5px;}

 display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

 text-decoration:none;}

 margin:0 0 0 4px;}

 font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

 text-decoration:none;}

 font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

 margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

 sp margin-right:0;}

3753424attach-table div div a {
 text-decoration:none;}

 width:400px;}

yiv1593753424
 div.yiv1593753424file-title a:visited {
 text-decoration:none;}

e a:active,
 text-decoration:none;}

  font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

 color:#628c2a;}

 margin:0 0 0 0;}

 font-size:0;}

 float:left;width:72px;}

 border:1px solid
 #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

593753424photos div label {
 color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

753424reco-category {
 font-size:77%;}

-desc {
 font-size:77%;}

 margin:4px;}

 margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

{
 font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
 sans-serif;}

 #yi font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

 font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

 code {
 font:115% monospace;}

 line-height:1.22em;}

 padding-bottom:10px;}

 font-family:Verdana;}

424attach-count span {
 color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

 color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

 margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

 li a {
 font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

 li {
 font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

4ov
 ul {
 margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

p-text {