Peel on Local Radio circa 1988

markc63@... markc63@...
Sun Mar 5 21:07:04 CET 2017

On the end of one of my Peel compilation tapes I've come across 15mins of Peel presenting a show for BBC Cambridgeshire. I did know about this show as I listened to them at the time (I was living in Northants in the late 80's early 90's). I think they were broadcast on a Sunday evening (6pm start, possibly). I remember him saying he was asked to put a local slant to them, but he replied that 'everywhere is local to somewhere' and pretty much played the same sort of stuff as on his R1 show (as you can tell from the 3 tracks on this snippet).

 Some things have come back to me as type this. He had an assistant, Melissa, who was apparently a family friend and wanted a job in the music industry. There were competitions and I have a feeling I won a copy of Makorokoto by The Four Brothers (just pulled it from the shelf and there is John's writing on the white record inner "Sorry about the delay. John (Peel)" I'll post a photo if I can. I'd completely forgotten about this 'till now! (I couldn't absolutely swear that I won this on this show. I also won a copy of the Pixies Doolittle LP and I think that was from the R1 shows but there are no notes on this one).