[peel] A John Peel Novel

Nigel Wassell nigel_wassell@...
Thu Feb 16 20:34:58 CET 2017

I have pledged as well. I like the premise and the way it’s set up, but there are a couple of other reasons. Firstly, I always found the pieces you used to write for the NME amusing, David, and trust that some of that humour will have spilled over into the book. Secondly, living as I do in South Wales you might not expect me to know who (what?) Gus Honeybun is (or was), but my grandparents lived in Bovey Tracey in the 1960s and I still recall being taken with my parents on one occasion to visit some friends of theirs in Topsham, where the man of the house, in an attempt to keep me and my brother amused, turned on the television and proclaimed, “Oh look, it’s Gus Honeybun!”  I don’t recall being over-impressed even at six years of age, but clearly the name stuck!

One thing I noticed in the draft of chapter one: in the paragraph in which you introduce the character of Roger Armstrong you call him Armstrong Armstrong.  Is that meant to be heavily ironic (in view of his background and the predilection of public school types to call each other by their surnames only), or is it just an error?

Nigel

From: mailto:peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:54 PM
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [peel] A John Peel Novel

Ta! Let's hope so...

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 4:30:24 PM GMT, MLEFJ mlefj@... [peel] <peel@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Looks really good!

On 15 Feb 2017, at 16:12, Stuart Brooks stuartb@... [peel] <peel@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

  Sounds great, just pledged! Stuart

  On 15 February 2017 08:41:22 GMT+00:00, "David Quantick davidquantick@... [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

    Hello,

    This isn't (really) a plug but I thought the group might be interested to hear that I've written a novel in which the John Peel Show features heavily, as a soundtrack and a plot device. The narrator transfers mp3s of Peel shows to cassette to play in his car and he is, like many people, obsessed with finding the Festive Sixty. There's also a fake session to make life more interesting...

    If you'd like to know more, there's a link here: https://unbound.com/books/go-west

    all the best and the group is credited,

    David