[peel] John Peel's first show on VPRO

thebarguest@... thebarguest@...
Mon Mar 23 21:53:07 CET 2015

I went to the Deeply Vale festival in 79 to see the Ruts. Yes, by all accounts (see the dvd / tv docu) the punks and new-wavers (inc the Fall) got along famously with the hippies, partly because a lot of the new-wavers were long-hairs only a few years before (eg Malcolm Owen of the Ruts) ; they also shared an enthusiasm for getting high and making music. The more open-minded hippies could see (hear) elements of Beefheart and Can in the newcomers !
 The other hippies hated it - "bloody hell, they can't even play or sing" etc. !!