[peel] More Derby

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Tue Feb 3 16:10:29 CET 2015

A nightmare! Thanks for struggling through - I appreciate it. I think its amazing how durable most of these things were so surprised that these sort of problems aren't more widespread.

________________________________
 From: "stuartb@... [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 3 February 2015, 14:49
Subject: [peel] More Derby

DB197 was another troublesome Fuji. In an attempt to avoid breakage I manually wound the leader past the head. All this did, was allow the tape to break while allowing it to play, thus pouring about 20s worth into the deck, so a tape break and a majorly concertina'd section. However once repaired, the squished up portion (played at the end of side 2) sounded surprisingly unaffected.

Musicwise, side 1 contained the first 47 minutes of records only show 30th September 1980, and side 2 the first 47 minutes of 2nd October 1980, with half of the sessions by Skids and Normil Hawaiians on tape. Which then broke again at the end of the rip.

DB198, another Fuji, so determined to avoid another repair, I manually wound the leader right into the shell, before playing. Side 1 contained the first
 48 minutes of 8th October 1980, A records only show, and a surprise play for Bruce Springsteen.

The tape still broke at the end of side 2, which isn't yet shared as the show on it extends to another, thankfully non-Fuji tape.

Rob, watch out if you have any of these...

Stuart