Mystery Sessions

dgmccarthy@... dgmccarthy@...
Mon Apr 13 08:13:01 CEST 2015

Hi all - it's been some time since I posted - or even visited - the group. Like, four years. Slack.

 I am now getting back into digitizing my DAT collection. Some may recall I listed my Peel sessions and provided copies to those interested.  While possibly the most interesting, that represented less than a quarter of the tapes I made between 1989 and 1993 while working at BBC Radio.

 Other life matters aside, one reason I came to an impasse was that some tapes were recorded long-play and I no longer had a machine that would replay them. I have now remedied that situation (thank you Ebay) and have a bunch of odd program recordings that I made, possibly as they were being broadcast. There are a couple of Peel shows but the tapes are in other hands right now; I'll report back with the dates when I recover them.

 The programs comprise a few Radio One and Radio Two shows from late 1992 and I'll post details if there's any interest.

 The real motivation for writing is to garner assistance (pun intended, if Ken is reading this) in identifying a bunch of Radio One sessions that are not Peel.  As with my Peel sessions, I recorded whatever I could as it came to hand; it could have been a complete session that I worked on at Maida Vale, or a track played during a show broadcast. And, unlike Peel, the weekday R1 shows at the time that commissioned sessions (Nicky Campbell, Mark Goodier, etc) used them for a week's worth of broadcasts, i.e. one or maybe two per show.  Thus I have a bunch of single tracks as well as complete sessions from a collection of obscure and not-so-obscure artists many of whose details I cannot track down. Any assistance with these would be hugely appreciated. I thought I had notes for all this but, if I did, they have disappeared in the intervening 25 years (they may be on a floppy-disc from an Amstrad PCW, if anyone remembers them!)

 Although acquired during the 89-93 period, some sessions are quite possibly replays of older material.

 And, as before, I'm happy to provide files for those who would like them. I should mention that some of the tapes have broken or become corrupt so I can't guarantee that I have full copies of everything.

 Here are the first three tape listings with any info that I have discovered (thanks Ken Garner's "In Session Tonight'):

 Note: my use of the tilde '~' is to indicate that it was 'probably' this broadcast

 The Dark (4 tracks)
 A Certain Ration (1) identified as 'Backs to the wall' ~Campbell 7/8/89 (Ken Garner)
 Dennis Greaves and The Truth (3)
 Summerhill (2) identified as 'Lately' & 'If I knew better'  ~Campbell 2/10/89 (KG)
 Mike Oldfield (1) obviously 'Tubular Bells' with Peel narration. Campbell 11.9.89 (I did note this)
 Castanarc (4)
 The Purple Helmets (4)
 The Grip (4)
 Lenny Kravitz (4)

 Brian Kennedy (4)
 Blue Aeroplanes (1) identified as 'Careful boy' ~Campbell 5/3/90 (KG)
 Tanita Tikaram (1) identified as 'Thursday's Child' ~Campbell 29/1/90 (KG)
 Hinterland (4)
 La Sonora Dinamita (4)  first track unmistakably 'La Bamba' ~Kershaw 22/4/90 (KG)
 The Lightning Seeds (4)
 Geneva (4)  The lyrics suggest these are the songs from the Friday Rock Show 23/3/90 (KG)
 Kevin Coyne (4)  lyrics indicate Kershaw 25/3/90 (KG)
 Green on Red (4) Identified these from the released CD of BBC Sessions as Richard Skinner 29/11/89
 16 Tambourines (1)

 Seven (4)
 Jungle Brothers (4) lyrics indicate Kershaw 15/4/90 (KG)
 Blue Aeroplanes (1)  '...and stones' ~Campbell 5/3/90 (KG)
 Mary Coughlan (1)
 One More Story (1)
 The Shamen (2)  'Move any mountain' & 'Human energy'
 Lies Damned Lies (1) identified as 'Say you won't forget me'
 The Adventures (1) 'Love's lost town' ~Campbell 19/3/90
 Dean Dwyer (4) includes "Cruelty called tonight'
 Masasu & P.K. Chisala (3)
 Shawn Colvin (1)
 Eddie Reader (1)

 As I write this, I am convinced I have a list somewhere.  I have numerous copies of my Peel list but damned if I can find this one.

 Anyway, thanks in anticipation.  More details as they are uncovered and further listings as time permits.

 Cheers

 David