[peel] Mooo Re-org

Stuart Brooks stuartb@...
Thu Nov 6 21:23:10 CET 2014

Definite pluses and minuses here.

Organisation/renaming.
Pluses – easy to find a file by browsing.
            - Files would be easy to sort in alphabetic order in mp3/media players etc.

Minuses – Individuals lose the ability to upload, edit, replace their own files.
                -    Massive undertaking by Mooo admin to organise/rename the files.
                -    Wiki links would all need updated.
                -     Should Mooo cease the effort would be wasted.
                -     Might become harder to work out the origins of files.
                -    Collectors might feel the need to re-name or redownload renamed versions of files to match the standard.

I have organised my own collection to the following regime:

Tapes that I make – are in format 1992-01-09 Peel Show L221a.mp3 where L221a is the a side of L221 of Lowman Tapes (side a and b not following on)
1992-01-10 Peel Show R145 R146.mp3 where the show is spread over two Rich tapes
1992-02-xx where day is unknown
1992-02-24-27 mixtape covering range of dates

Downloaded files, if not starting with YYYY-MM-DD, I add that to the start of the file name, so that I can alphabetise, but also retain the original filename so the source is easier to identify.

Stuart

From: mailto:peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 1:54 PM
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] Mooo Re-org

Something that has bugged me for a while - now that the ripping efforts of the many have reached such heights, the Mooo folder structure is somewhat sprawling - with individuals having their own upload directories and different naming/folder formats

Would there be any interest in trying to reorganise the folder structure and renaming files to a standard format?

I realise the major knock-on to this would be tons of broken links on the wiki, so that may put us off, but I think it would be beneficial to have some sort of librarianship going on..

Your OCD chum

Rob