[peel] Wanted: Top Gear shows

meltormentsingers@... meltormentsingers@...
Mon May 12 22:55:27 CEST 2014

Thanks for the info, I am kind of a newbie with regards to this whole "groups thing" so every bit of help is most appreciated :).

At the moment I am writing a little essay of my own about the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band's BBC / Peel sessions because Ken Garners book is far from complete and in some places erronious.

I have a question and perhaps someone can help me out: Are the tracklistings in the Wiki supposed to reflect the tracks included in the MP3-file of the recording? I downloaded the 24th November 1968 and the one track I am looking for (yes, one by the Bonzo's :)) doesn't seem to be on it so I wondered why it is in the tracklisting.

These two Top Gear shows I have.
John Peel - Top Gear 27 04 1969
John Peel - Top Gear 11 05 1969
I guess these aren't very rare because I got them via a wellknown filesharing site, but if you want them, I can send them to you at any time you want. As far as I know there are 8 or 9 shows from the Sixties that were recenlty found of which these below are part. I also have Peelies final Perfurmed Garden from 14th August 1967. More info here:
http://members.aol.com/VelvetFogg/HTML/PEEL.html http://members.aol.com/VelvetFogg/HTML/PEEL.html

Anyway thanks lot so far and all the best. Below the contents of the two Top Gears

Vincent
In Session
Principal Edwards Magic Theatre
The Eclection
The Family

Details
This first show in the bunch features sessions from, as stated above, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, Eclection and (The) Family. There's only a slight glitch in Mr. Apollo, as indicated below, but otherwise this is a full two-hour show in very reasonable nick for its age. Manna for Peeliacs.

Tracklisting
Top Gear Theme
The Byrds - Old Blue
Canned Heat - Time Was
The Eclection - Both Sides Now (session)
Chicken Shack - I'd Rather Go Blind
The Family - A Song For Me (session)
Bonzo Dog Band - Mr. Apollo [skips back to end of the Family track, then continues and jumps a bit further into Mr. Apollo]
News at 7:30
The Eclection - Restitution (session)
Bob Dylan - Country Pie
Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - Lament For The Earth (session)
The Family - Bring It On Home (session)
Pentangle - Once I Had A Sweetheart
Credence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary
Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - Ballad of a Big Girl Now (session)
The Eclection - Charity (session)
Leonard Cohen - Seems So Long Ago Nancy
BB King - Sweet Little Angel
The Family - Love Is A Sleeper (session)
Coliseum (Colosseum) - Those About To Die
Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - Third Sonnet To Sundry Notes Of Music (session)
The Eclection - Earth (session)
The Moody Blues - Send Me No Wine
Gordon Smith - Instrumental No. 2 [Interrupted by a motoring flash]
The Family - I Sung 'Um The Way I Feel (session)
Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - Pinky: A Mystery Cycle (session)
Doctor John - The Lonesome Guitar Strangler
The Eclection - Put On Your Face (session)
Top Gear Theme

John Peel's Top Gear, 11th. May 1969

In Session
Fleetwood Mac
King Crimson
Tyrannosaurus Rex
The Bonzo Dog Band

Details
Here's another full 2-hour Top Gear show from 1969. And in a packed programme tonight, Ronnie, there's sessions from Fleetwood Mac, King Crimson, Tyrannosaurus Rex and The Bonzo Dog Band.

Tracklisting
Top Gear Theme
The Edwin Hawkins Singers - Oh Happy Day
Tim Rose - Roanoke
Fleetwood Mac - Tallahassee Lassie (session)
Bonzo Dog Band - Mr. Apollo (session)
Chicken Shack - I'd Rather Go Blind
Tyrannosaurus Rex - Once Upon the Seas of Abyssinia (session)
King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King (session)
[Edit to cut out news]
Martha Velez - It Takes a Lot To Laugh, It Takes a Train To Cry
Credence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
Bonzo Dog Band - Look At Me I'm Wonderful (session)
Tyrannosaurus Rex - Nijinsky Hind (session)
Fleetwood Mac - Heavenly (session)
Jefferson Airplane - It's No Secret
King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (session)
Mike Cooper - Poor Little Annie
Tyrannosaurus Rex - The Misty Coast of Albany (session)
Neil Young - The Loner
Pentangle - Once I Had A Sweetheart
Fleetwood Mac - Early Morning Come (session)
The Glass Menagerie - Have You Forgotten Who You Are?
Canned Heat - Low Down
Bonzo Dog Band - Quiet Talks And Summer Walks (session)
Johnny Shines - Baby Don't You Think I Know
Fleetwood Mac - You'll Never Know What You're Missing Till You Try (session)
Tyrannosaurus Rex - Chariots of Silk (session)
King Crimson - Talk To The Wind (session)
Kak - Golgotha
Leviathan - Time
Fleetwood Mac - Blues With A Feeling (session)
Bob Dylan - I Threw It All Away
Colosseum - Walking In The Park
Top Gear Theme

John Peel's Perfumed Garden - 14th August 1967 - Revision 3 (September 2005)

Tracklisting:
Disc 1
01 - The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
02 - The Beatles - With A Little Help From My Friends
03 - The Attack - Any More Than I Do
04 - Donovan - Guinevere
05 - The Purple Gang - Granny Takes A Trip
06 - Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
07 - John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers - Dust My Blues
08 - The Byrds - Eight Miles High
09 - Tim Buckley - Song Slowly Sung
10 - The Misunderstood - I Can Take You To The Sun
11 - Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine
12 - Canned Heat - Rollin' and Tumblin'
13 - Tyrannosaurus Rex - Rings Of Fortune
14 - Simon and Garfunkel - At The Zoo
15 - Howlin' Wolf - Dust My Broom
16 - The Syn - 14 Hour Technicolor Dream
17 - The Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs
18 - Jeff Beck - Rock My Plimsoul (abbrev.)
19 - Big Brother and The Holding Company - All Is Loneliness

Disc 2:

01 - Jeff Beck - Rock My Plimsoul
02 - Bob Dylan - It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
03 - Jon - Is It Love
04 - The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing
05 - The Beatles - For No One
06 - Country Joe And The Fish - Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine
07 - Orange Bicycle - Hyacinth Threads
08 - Marc Bolan - Hippy Gumbo
09 - John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers - Double Trouble
10 - Tim Hardin - Hang On To A Dream
11 - The Electric Prunes - Wind-Up Toys
12 - Donovan - Epistle To Dippy
13 - Cream - Tales Of Brave Ulysses
14 - Giant Sunflower - February Sunshine
15 - Shadows Of Knight - Light Bulb Blues
16 - Elmore James - Dust My Broom
17 - The Rolling Stones - We Love You
18 - Moby Grape - Changes
19 - Geoffrey Prowse - The Perfumed Garden Blues
20 - Adrian Henri and Andy Roberts - Tonight at Noon
21 - Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Abba Zabba
22 - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp

Disc 3:

01 - Roy Harper - Sophisticated Beggar
02 - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Look Over Yonder's Wall
03 - The Grateful Dead - Cold Rain And Snow
04 - Love - The Castle
05 - Marc Bolan - The Wizard
06 - The Incredible String Band - The Mad Hatter's Song
07 - Traffic - Smiling Phases
08 - Jackson C. Frank - Milk And Honey
09 - Tomorrow - My White Bicycle
10 - The Misunderstood - You Don't Have To Go
11 - Big Brother and The Holding Company - Call On Me
12 - Orange Bicycle - Amy Peate
13 - John Renbourn - Another Monday
14 - Simon and Garfunkel - Fakin' It
15 - The Who - Run Run Run
16 - David Blue - The Street
17 - The Beatles - Getting Better
18 - The Beatles - Fixing A Hole
19 - The Beatles - She's Leaving Home

Disc 4:

01 - The Beatles - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
02 - Judy Collins - Liverpool Lullaby
03 - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - I Don't Live Today
04 - Donovan - Sunny Goodge Street
05 - Tyrannosaurus Rex - Misty Mist (Highways)
06 - The Seeds - Mr. Farmer
07 - Simon and Garfunkel - Sparrow
08 - The Mothers Of Invention - Plastic People
09 - The Mothers Of Invention - The Duke Of Prunes
10 - The Mothers Of Invention - Amnesia Vivace
11 - The Mothers Of Invention - The Duke Regains His Chops
12 - The Mothers Of Invention - Call Any Vegetable
13 - The Mothers Of Invention - Invocation And Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin
14 - The Mothers Of Invention - Soft-Sell Conclusion
15 - Zodiac (Cosmic Sounds) - Aquarius The Lover Of Life
16 - John's Children - Desdemona
17 - The Blues Project - Flute Thing
18 - John Peel - Reading From Winnie the Pooh (Part One)
19 - Donovan - Sand And Foam
20 - John Peel - Reading From Winnie the Pooh (Part Two)

Disc 5:

01 - The Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning
02 - John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers - Top Of The Hill
03 - Pink Floyd - Matilda Mother
04 - The Syn - Flower Man
05 - Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Sure 'Nuff N' Yes I Do
06 - Shawn Phillips - Coal Tattoo
07 - Roger McGough - Mother, There's A Strange Man Waiting At The Door / Mother, The Wardrobe Is Full Of Infantrymen
08 - John's Children - Sarah Crazy Child
09 - The Beatles - The Word
10 - Bob Dylan - On The Road Again
11 - The Misunderstood - I Can Take You To The Sun
12 - Donovan - Writer In The Sun
13 - John Peel - Big Lil Plays And We Say Goodbye To The Perfumed Garden
14 - The Rolling Stones - We Love You

Extras:
15 - Big Lil
16 - John Peel - How Food Gets On A Record