June and early July 1990 getting sorted out

stuartb@... stuartb@...
Sat Mar 1 19:19:19 CET 2014

The 19th June 1990 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/19_June_1990 show contained two continuous chunks adding up to 53 minutes, which when added to the individual tracks available on my own mixtape from the time add up to around an hour. Featuring half of James' 4th session, and tracks from Sonic Youth's Goo, which seem to get daily plays for the next few weeks.
The show of 20th June 1990 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/20_June_1990 is virtually complete and has Sink in session.

Also dating the Best Of Peel Vol 8 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Best_Of_Peel_Vol_8 has allowed a fuller entry for 26th June 1990 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/26_June_1990. This is a composite of Best Of Peel and Happy Flowers: Pixies from Pates Tapes though doesn't seem to have any Happy Flowers. Around 75 minutes of this show available and features My Dad Is Dead in session.
BOP 8 also contains 16 minutes of 27th June 1990 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/27_June_1990 and concentrates on the Cows session so a page has been added.
The 28th June 1990 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/28_June_1990 is back to a mixtape created by tape to tape transfer, from R108 and R109. 33 minutes survive and features The Orchids in session. The sound quality suffers at times, clearly the variable record azimuth which I have been compensating for on the first gen tapes, has struck here, with tracks from early on each side of the original tapes sounding very muffled. This nicely demonstrates the much greater impact of accurate azimuth tape playback on the resultant sound quality than whether it is a high bit rate mp3 or flac file.
The 2nd July 1990 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/02_July_1990is another mixtape. Just over half the show from R108. Again BOP adds a few tracks to proceedings.
The 3rd July 1990 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/03_July_1990 from R077 and R108 is set against the backdrop of the first Italia '90 semi final which goes to penalties. I did previously wonder from the BoP tracks also from this show if it was the 4th July when England were playing, as John wants Nicky Campbell to take over for the last 20 minutes of the show, but there is no specific evidence for this. Certainly reference is made to Maradona a few times earlier in the show, the only other clue is that the ref looks like someone out of MASH. 42 minutes in total, 39 from the Rich tapes in variable quality, and just one session track from Krispy Three.

While I was at it I made a page for the snippet of 21st June 1990 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/21_June_1990 which was found on a 1987 show. There are a couple of undated tracks on BoP7 which might also be from this show.
Thanks to Rich and Mike