[peel] A Christrmas Gift For The List From Tom In Atlanta

cannon alan ajcauk@...
Mon Jan 6 13:46:50 CET 2014

Hi

  Belated thanks for that
Really worth accessing just in case anyone overlooked it

All the best

alanjc

On Wed, 25/12/13, Tom Roche <troche2255@...> wrote:

 Subject: [peel] A Christrmas Gift For The List From Tom In Atlanta
 To: "PeelLIST" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
 Date: Wednesday, 25 December, 2013, 16:39

       'Ello to you from across the
 pond... I'm 5 hours behind "all ya'll" as
 they say 'round here... just finished our big
 unwrapping. 'Tis a lovely day and life is good.

 We are all on this list because we like good music and
 we like good radio. As a filmmaker and editor, I had a bit
 of success with a documentary I made in 2010 about the last
 surviving DJ from the first black-owned station in the US...
 WERD-AM... which was here in Atlanta and signed on in
 1949.

 At the time they called it "Negro
 Format" ... and these stations were crucial to the
 advancement of civil rights (white listeners could check out
 real-deal R&B and learn of a rich culture their parents
 were claiming was trash.)

 This particular DJ, James "Alley Pat"
 Patrick (of black Irish roots,) was on the air here from
 1951 to 1989. He played great, new music all the time (sound
 familiar?) and best of all, had a big fat mouth. My film,
 "Alley Pat: The Music Is Recorded," is his story.
 It came in 1st Place at both the Kansas City and Atlanta
 Film Festivals. As it is full of terrific tracks I have not
 had the $$ to license, I can't sell it or air it.... but
 I can give it away to... well... all ya'll.

 Even if you just
 look at 15 minutes of it I think you'll be hooked

 https://vimeo.com/65016982

 and the password is preachers

 You can share with
 your like-minded friends but do not post the link publicly.
 It's got an A+ mix ready to be played loud. Er,
 loudly.

 Here's hoping
 your holiday week is good-rockin' and laughing all the
 way. (Alley Pat will help, ha!)

 Tom
 Roche