John Peel Show Competitions late 90s / early 00s

robin.schroder@... robin.schroder@...
Sat Feb 22 00:45:16 CET 2014

Hello,

I'm currently doing some research for a radio programme I'm hoping to put together about the 3 competitions John Peel ran on his shows in the late 90s / early 00s and their winners.

Competition 1 was announced in Spring 1998 - the prize was 500 - 600 Dance / Electronic 12"s (Questions were : Who are The Purposemaker / Plastikman / Wagon Christ - Answers: Jeff Mills / Richie Hawtin / Luke Vibert), records were delivered by John Peel in person on either 24th or 27th July 1998.  I already know who won this competition but they will be remaining anonymous for the purposes of the radio programme.

Competition 2 was announced on 2nd November 1999 to the best of my knowledge and the prize was 1000 Indie / Guitar-music 12"s.  I have vague recollections about needing to identify Damon Albarn's remix of Cornelius's Starfruit Surfrider and a Richie Hawtin remix of New Order's Blue Monday being part of the question.  The winner was possibly announced on 27th January 2000, although I can't find a recording of this show so far.  The 1000 records were delivered in person by John Peel and I vaguely remember the winner being interviewed or appearing on the programme in some way.  I am very, very keen to get in touch with anybody with information about the winner of this competition, who I would very much like to feature on the programme - I'm very happy for them to stay anonymous and super-low-profile (as winner to competition 1 will be).

Competition 3 took place in 2002 - this was the competition that John Osborne won a box of records from and has been well documented in the form of a stage show, BBC Radio 4 programme etc. I had previously mistaken the winner of competition 2 to be John Osborne - but after further research realised that this, of course, was not the case.

Any help with information about competition 2 would be very helpful to me.  Many thanks indeed!