[peel] Is it sad...?

Stuart Brooks stuartb@...
Sat Feb 1 21:25:47 CET 2014

I encode mine at 320kbps which is probably overkill and I can't tell the difference between these and the flacs that I also save for every rip. Encoding at that bitrate ensures that it is the quality of the cassette that is the limiting factor.
Encoding at 128 or less will audibly degrade a good cassette and there are some shows on the torrents with 80 64 or even lowere bitrates which even ruin an AM recording.
Of course there are limitations anyway with FM DAB and DVB broadcasts but I encode at high rate to make sure I don't introduce any further degradation.

See the following discussion http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-experts-settle-an-argument-for-me-which-sounds-better-cassettes-or-mp3s.327456/page-5
Stuart