DB157 DB158

thebarguest@... thebarguest@...
Thu Dec 4 21:38:49 CET 2014

I used a few Memorex tapes in the late 70's/early 80's. If the tape eventually stopped flowing/spooling smoothly (ie stuck), then there were no little screws to loosen ! Nice design though - gun-metal grey and black with smooth edges. Classy ads/commercials as well. I ended up preferring TDK SA and Maxell XL II tapes... and BASF chrome.

 >>>Apologies for the most boring post titles...
>>>The 157th installment of the Derby Box is a 92 minute sound upgrade of already available in complete 400 Boxer of 25th March 1980 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/25_March_1980.
A warning - while the sound is generally very good there is a small portion of the tape which appears to have deteriorated, which is apparent in the audio at that bit of tape on both sides.

It's a Memorex MRX3 Oxide (which in general have held up OK in the Derby Box, unlike most of mine which were very fragile). It doesn't look crinkled as such, as results from a tape jam, but has a visible texture, almost  like hammered copper made with very small hammers!

The next tape, DB158 was fine, and adds to/overlaps the 4 minutes previously available from the 400 Box from the 27th March 1980 http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/27_March_1980 (also ripped by me). This time the John Peel Papers meant that the show was already tracklisted saving some effort there.

Noticing that these Memorex tapes are a bit shorter coming in at under 46 minutes a side, with most other brands around 47 minutes.

Stuart