[peel] New from JP Archive

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Thu Feb 28 21:26:38 CET 2013

In 1977 Peel was pretty well the only DJ on UK national radio to play reggae, so it's very likely the record label would have sent him a copy of the Abyssinians album.

Interestingly the tracklistings written on the inner sleeve seem to bear no relation to the album, but are Peel sessions.

The first, starting with "A man's a man for life" is the third session by Five Hand Reel, recorded 25/05/1977. The second, below it, is the only session by The Rumour, recorded 23/05/1977.

The upside-down lists are for sessions by Genesis (their second, recorded 25/09/1972) ,and The Tyla Gang (Their first, recorded 30/05 1977).

The "Forward On To Zion" album came out in 1977 as well, so I guess Peel was using the sleeve to work out the timings for his shows for the first week of June that year. Not sure why the Genesis session is there - does anyone know if it had a repeat around then? Or maybe they had recently split?

Cheers!

Rocker

-----Original Message-----
From: MARK LUETCHFORD <M.Luetchford@...>
To: peel <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 28, 2013 7:53 pm
Subject: Re: [peel] New from JP Archive

being a big Abyssinians (copied and pasted cos I can never spell it!) fan I looked up this - its a rare version on a uk based label - how did he get his hands on it? any explanation for the handwritten notes on the innersleeve - they don't seem to relate to teh record at all and is the handwriting JPs - it doesn't look like it to me ...
http://www.johnpeelcentreforcreativearts.co.uk/images/stories/a055-9043-3.jpg

I posted a comment linking to the page I did (with a lot of help from my friends!) on peel and reggae although it doesn't seem to want to load

http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Reggae