[peel] Re: 12th August 1976 now wikified.

Stuart stuartb@...
Sun Sep 30 16:55:31 CEST 2012

Well I don't understand exactly how the lossy algorithms work but I assume
at least that wma works differently to mp3. Potentially further information
is discarded at each conversion. I imagine if one repeatly converted to and
from 128kbps from wma to mp3 and back again more and more data would be lost
each time. So for a one-off conversion I was trying to minimise further
deterioration of the source - high frequency transients are particularly
vulnerable to mp3 encoding but less so using a good vbr.

The original wmas of course are still there for anyone who wants them, but I
suspect the biggest improvements in sound may be made by ripping the
original tapes on a good deck - it sounds like the high frequencies could be
brought out by azimuth adjustment, and the benefits of that would dwarf the
fine details of which compression to use!

Atb

Stuart

  _____