[peel] DAB vs FM

Stuart stuartb@...
Tue Jun 5 02:52:47 CEST 2012

There's no excuse for less dynamic range on DAB after all we were always
told the compression on FM was to avoid the hiss taking over in poor signal
areas during quiet passages. DAB and other digital sources should be using
the full dynamic range that we all seem to be supposed to cope with on CD
and DVD audio. And many internet radio stations are now in far better SQ
than DAB due to not using dynamic range compression. And while Radio 1 does
have the "excuse" it broadcasts on FM and so some studio-stage compression
takes place, 6music only broadcasts digitally so should use CD style
uncompressed  (dynamic range wise)

The bit rate is another matter.. Radio 3 does get the full 192kbps and R1
160kbps but 128kbps is rather poor for a serious music station.

Incidentally I find the current FM Radio 1 quality some way below the best
of my early 1980s Peel show mixtapes...

Stuart

  _____