[peel] Re: What was your most favourite band Peel hated?

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Sat Jul 21 17:16:27 CEST 2012

Re Simply Red - There's also the fact that their records were all a pile of steaming shit.

Frantic Elevators on the other hand I really liked.

And he did play quite a lot of stuff on Blood and Fire later on, which was co-run by MH.

Rocker

-----Original Message-----
From: so_it_goes_2512 <so_it_goes_2512@...>
To: peel <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Jul 20, 2012 1:58 am
Subject: [peel] Re: What was your most favourite band Peel hated?

He fell out with Bolan (when he stopped singing of elves and wizards and became a pop star), Zappa, Dr John - others?

Yes, Mark.

*Despite the Frantic Elevators doing sessions and being highly rated by John, he had a big argument with Mick Hucknall (what about I've never been able to find out) and consequently Simply Red were on the hate list (he played a brief snatch at the start of one 1993 show, but only as part of a joke about 1FM's music policy and all the DJs being called....well, Mark).

*The Byrds refused to speak to him backstage and, although he played them on and off throughout his career, were referred to by various uncomplimentary names, including a part of the female anatomy.

*Die Toten Hosen were favourites too....until they recorded a session in which they took advantage of the fact that Peel knew no German (well, that's how he saw it) and added at least one song which referred to 'bumsen' (can you guess?) among other things. It was not until he played the official release on BFBS (and presumably German-speaking listeners complained) that the truth became apparent and that was the end for them as far as he was concerned.

*His frequent playing of the Sex Pistols came to an end sometime in 1979 (his choice, I believe: I remember a quote in which he said something like, "I defend the Sex Pistols' right to record what they like, but I also defend my right not to listen to it"), and he had a confrontation with Steve Jones which threatened to get violent: Steve called him the same thing he called the Byrds and what he'd been referring to himself on stage as for years.

Steve (TK)