What was your most favourite band Peel hated?

Tom Joseph troche2255@...
Thu Jul 19 17:09:19 CEST 2012

He also seemed to have no love for Bob Dylan although it must be said that the trio of albums in the last decade are so well-put together that it makes the more perfunctory work of the 80-90s seem, well, perfunctory ... so perhaps Peel was wise in his approach.

Dylan was v erratic live for a long stretch, some astounding shows, some muddled messes, and when Peel was writing the occasional music review for The Grauniad or whomever I seem to remember he caught Dylan on one of these "off" nights and was rightfully dismissive.

He was bored by Springsteen which was fine with me. Not knocking him, but his music gets plenty of airplay. As does Dylan.

He had a real dislike for Patti Smith which left me torn. Maybe he sensed the same sort of fax-radicalism he saw in The Clash and despised them for it. (Here in the states by the way, the NBC network is heralding the London Olympics in promos using "London Calling" - can we be sure Joe Strummer would have approved?) I thought Patti's LPs were sweet/clever/rocking.

I for one hated Zappa's scatological period. Just a waste of everyone's time. A partial legacy of misogynistic lyrics is not what anyone needs either. I do recall Peel playing an innovative stretch of "We're Only In It For The Money" at some point (Peelenium?) and later a track from Reuben & The Jets when The Fall did a cover of "I'm Not Satisfied" - temporarily raising Zappa's currency with JP I would suspect.

When I visited Peel Acres I was hot on Los Lobos - their transcendent "Kiko" was just out - and tried playing some of that in his kitchen but there was no interest.

tom roche