[peel] Re: What was your most hated Peel favourite band?

Phil Edwards festive50@...
Sun Jul 15 00:11:40 CEST 2012

Had problems with my e-mail and just found this draft,

So a belated post.

I haven’t posted for a hell of a long time, but this post really appealed to
me.

Firstly being one of the older members (b. 1951), I grew up with Peely, from
his “Perfumed Garden” days on Radio London and in those days I just loved
practically everything he played.

I carried on listening up to the mid ‘70s then I stopped and the only band I
can remember to this day which put me off was “The boys of the Lough” (I
possibly may even like them now, who knows). Ironically I’d stopped
listening just prior to punk, however I did get to hear punk and reggae
elsewhere fortunately but probably not to such a great extent. I then
rediscovered Peel in 1981 when I heard and recorded the top 20 of the
festive fifty and carried on with just the FFs until early 1987 when I
listened to most of his shows right up to his sad demise. Again I just loved
practically everything he played up until the latter years and believe it or
not I preferred the electronic techno/ drum ‘n bass/ dance/ grime/ dubstep
to the conventional guitar based bands. Ironically John used to bemoan the
fact that the FF was latterly made up of “white boys strumming guitars”, yet
he used to play the ilk of “Von Bondies”, “The Datsuns”, “Vaults”,
“Decoration” and “The Bees” which I just simply abhorred and in IMHO were
just a continuation of “Britpop” and hadn’t “moved on”.

To me, guitar bands had to have a distinctive edge with raucous/melodic
beautiful vocals like “King of the Slums”, “Band of Susans”, “Clinic”,
“Solex”, “Stereolab”, “Herman Dune”, “Will Oldham”, “Tungg”.

Phil

  _____