First Footing

lorcan58 lorcan58@...
Mon Jan 2 00:03:08 CET 2012

The avistic playlists are drawn from a number of sources (some Ceefax, some BBC PASB listings kindly donated to me by Mick Ashman of this parish, a few years of handwritten listings from Tim Joseph, the BBC website, my own hasty scribbles and a variety of other helpful people). But yes, I'd agree that the Ceefax (and indeed the PASBs) were not always reliable (not least because Peel was in the habit of making last-minute changes, sometimes while the programme was under way, or playing a white label rather than a release) and there is no substitute for actually hearing the broadcast (which is after all the acid test). And as we all know, Peel was the sort of fellow who would go for the five 7" singles on different-coloured vinyl rather than the eminently more sensible CD.

I'm actually looking at some 1993 listings now and one of the things that strikes me is how difficult it was to verify anything in an age before the Internet had really taken off. We may be subject to multiple mutually-contradictory sources now, but back then once Peel's voice had faded into the ether, all you were left with was "What did he say?"...