Peel Archive

ken ken_garner@...
Sat Feb 25 13:06:26 CET 2012

I knew nothing about this and it's very welcome of course. However, the more detailed BBC and NME stories (links below) reveal it's very much only a start, and they do not anticipate ripping more than a sample of the vinyl collection under the funding support they have won, over the next year or two. I do not even know if the family were able to complete a proper digital catalogue of the collection, though both one private individual and staff from the British Library have been advising on this (I reckon that would take someone a couple of years, at least!), I know that. The BBC is going to support and help, through Archive Development. In short, it's  a great start, but do not anticipate being able to hear streams of rare or lost official peel sessions from the BBC archive through it anytime soon!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-17139449
http://www.nme.com/news/john-peel/62216

ken