[peel] Re: Sounds of the Suburbs / Out in The States

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Sat Oct 8 14:39:36 CEST 2011

many thanks for these. never saw them at the time. just watched the oxford one so far and i really enjoyed it - seems like a great idea for a tv programme but maybe 1999 wasn't the right year to do it in. I lived in Camberley in the late 70s and The Members summed up my teenage years - the bordeom of suburban life exploded by the anger of punk -  It was when the suburbs picked up punk that things got interesting and led to the late 70s/early 80s new wave/mod/2tone/new romantic etc. 1999 doesn't seem to have the same context to me and the the places visited aren't really suburbs. the oxford programme didn't seem to relate the music to the location/teenage angst in the same way or maybe it does to people who were 15 in 1999 and I'm just old! Does episode 1 explain the idea?

Peel tells the confirmation story again this time whilst sitting in the middle of the rollright stones (maybe the origin of the reference in HMHB majestic 24 hour garage people of the year 2000) - I've now heard this story two or three times - his stock of stories was massive but some were repeated again and again - as we all do - a wiki page candidate?

Mark

From: Eddie Duffy <eddie.duffy@gmail.com>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 7 October 2011, 13:28
Subject: [peel] Re: Sounds of the Suburbs / Out in The States

And here are those two episode upgrades to complete the series in the same quality and format. Episode 8 much better than the previously-available version, particularly sound-wise, and Episode 2 is sharper and more colourful, if grainier.

S01E02 (Oxford): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XOF1KEAQ
S01E08 (The North East): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GM8T0NLW

Reminder of previous episode links:

S01E01 (Lanarkshire): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LDTMILPA