[peel] Re: Pete Townsend on being invited to give the inaugral John Peel lecture

Ben Harrison abcdetc@...
Wed Oct 5 19:49:20 CEST 2011

I sometimes find it bugging rather than amusing when folk mention
someone was played on Peel -- and I find it jars w/ my idea of his
taste. I just saw a Singapore newspaper mention a polished,
nice-but-derivative Singapore act as being played on his show ... when
I know they never were. Of course I also know the reporter never once
tuned-in... and I think he even once told me Peel was for 'quirky'
music. U2 / Dire Straits fan he is.

That said, I was happily surprised to hear The Replacements on an old
show of his recently. I'd never have thought...