John Cav Tapes: Ep #5

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Thu May 12 01:52:29 CEST 2011

Thanks for the quality control feedback Humph.

Really important that you bring these things to peoples attention.

Bit of a sloppy error, sorry folks, but it was Dylan followed by
Clapton, and it did aversely affect my peformance, so serves me right
for joking about it.

The corrected show has been repaired and is available HERE
<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/1977-01-03%20John\
%20Peel%20BBC%20Radio%201.mp3>

Please delete the old one if you downloaded it.

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Humphrey" <thebarguest@...> wrote:

> God, I hate to point this out, Bill, as I am a huge admirer of your
remastering/noise reduction jobs, but I think you have accidentally
introduced a dropout at position 105:07(via Winamp) in the song 'Layla'
; strange as I didn't think that song needed changing at all... Nice
work rebuilding/completing the first song, "Johnny" by Thin Lizzy !

> Btw there's a nice docu on Poly Styrene/X-ray Spex from 1979 on
Dimeadozen and Thebox, with footage of the band's visit to Erics and
Poly being interviewed on a Mersey ferry.

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Humphrey" thebarguest@ wrote:
> >
> > Just played the affected part, and yes, it sounds a LOT better -
well done and thanks again, B ! That Racing Cars song has grown on me -
you could imagine a Joy Division cover version, maybe ....

> > As to the micro-dropouts, I wonder what caused them - probably a
creased tape I would say, had it meself over t'years. Sometimes dodgy
tape players can "chew" a tape which can be impossible to rectify.

\
> > > %20Peel%20BBC%20Radio%201.mp3>
> > >
> > > Took a while to find the album version of Racing Cars horses song.
> > >

> > >   I think it is a lot better. I couldn't do anything with the Bill
Aitken
> > > tracks, though
> > >

> > > So I remember exactly what I was doing on 3rd January 1977.
> > >

> > > It was a Bank Holiday Monday, and that meant a special "Alan
Freeman

<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/00Archive/1977-1-\
\
> > > 3%20Alan%20Freeman%20Radio%201.mp3>
> > >
> > > The Saturday show was also recorded and is available HERE

<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/00Archive/1977-1-\
\
> > > 1%20Alan%20Freeman%20Radio%201%20%28Incomplete%29.mp3>
> > >
> > > (Also 3 hours, but the first 45 minutes were on a cassette that
has been
> > > lost)
> > >
> > > I just noticed that the Wiki has a nice write up about Fluff
> > >
> > > http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Alan_Freeman
> > >

> > > I also recorded the Peel show from 3rd January 1977, but I think
my
> > > attitude then, as now, was that anything that featured both Bob
Dylan
> > > and Eric Clapton was to be avoided.
> > >
> > > ONLY JOKING!!
> > >
> > > No I think that it was just one of a series of end of year
countdown
> > > shows, and I did like the Freeman show better, so with tapes being
so
> > > expensive it got recorded over.
> > >
> > > I did make up for that by capturing the entire FF from 1978,
though, by
> > > way of atonement.
> > >
> > > We have 1976 now too, thanks to Ken and John.
> > >
> > > Anyway, listening back to the top 10 of 1976, does at least
indicate
> > > what a challenge Peel faced introducing Reggae and World Music,
let
> > > alone Punk, to his listeners.
> > >
> > > Bill fnw

> > > brilliant but on tape 770103 (a) there seem to be repeated
dropouts on
> > > the left channel from around 16 min to around 51 min. I would
> > > assume/presume that Ken/John were aware of these and tried
different
> > > playback machines etc. to no avail. Sooo.... if anyone could try a
> > > remaster/fix either by patching in new song copies or copying the
right
> > > channel to the left (monoising) ( hi Bill ! ), that would be the
icing
> > > on the cake. Sorry for being a neurotic perfectionist !

> > > impressed ; seemed a bit like "Arms Of Mary", nice tune, different
words
> > > etc. but, but ...

> > > and first few seconds of the first session track, John admits). No
> > > comment required, but great repeat session tracks from Thin Lizzy,
Bill