John Cav Tapes: Ep #5

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Sat May 7 23:43:23 CEST 2011

OK I did a remaster job on this and the show is available HERE
<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/1977-01-03%20John\
%20Peel%20BBC%20Radio%201.mp3>

Took a while to find the album version of Racing Cars horses song.

  I think it is a lot better. I couldn't do anything with the Bill Aitken
tracks, though

So I remember exactly what I was doing on 3rd January 1977.

It was a Bank Holiday Monday, and that meant a special "Alan Freeman
Show" with part 2 of the best selling albums of 1976. It was a good 3
hour show.

I recorded it and it is available HERE
<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/00Archive/1977-1-\
3%20Alan%20Freeman%20Radio%201.mp3>

The Saturday show was also recorded and is available HERE
<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/00Archive/1977-1-\
1%20Alan%20Freeman%20Radio%201%20%28Incomplete%29.mp3>

(Also 3 hours, but the first 45 minutes were on a cassette that has been
lost)

I just noticed that the Wiki has a nice write up about Fluff

http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Alan_Freeman

I also recorded the Peel show from 3rd January 1977, but I think my
attitude then, as now, was that anything that featured both Bob Dylan
and Eric Clapton was to be avoided.

ONLY JOKING!!

No I think that it was just one of a series of end of year countdown
shows, and I did like the Freeman show better, so with tapes being so
expensive it got recorded over.

I did make up for that by capturing the entire FF from 1978, though, by
way of atonement.

We have 1976 now too, thanks to Ken and John.

Anyway, listening back to the top 10 of 1976, does at least indicate
what a challenge Peel faced introducing Reggae and World Music, let
alone Punk, to his listeners.

Bill fnw

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Humphrey" <thebarguest@...> wrote:

> Thanks again (to the power of 500) for these - the overall quality is
brilliant but on tape 770103 (a) there seem to be repeated dropouts on
the left channel from around 16 min to around 51 min. I would
assume/presume that Ken/John were aware of these and tried different
playback machines etc. to no avail. Sooo.... if anyone could try a
remaster/fix either by patching in new song copies or copying the right
channel to the left (monoising) ( hi Bill ! ), that would be the icing
on the cake. Sorry for being a neurotic perfectionist !

> Btw, I would never have thought that JP was such a Racing Cars fan -
> I remember hearing "They Shoot Horses" on pop radio and not being too
impressed ; seemed a bit like "Arms Of Mary", nice tune, different words
etc. but, but ...

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken" ken_garner@ wrote:
> >
> > So, to the denouement: the show of 3rd January 1977 (minus the sig.
and first few seconds of the first session track, John admits). No
comment required, but great repeat session tracks from Thin Lizzy, Bill
Aitken and The Chieftains, and the unbearable tension of the Top 10.
What will be number one?